International Medical Journal, Vol. 28., Iss. 1, 2022, P. 59−61.
CLINICAL FEATURES OF EPILEPSY IN YOUNG MEN
Kharkiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, Ukraine
Epilepsy is a polyetiological disease caused by brain damage, which is characterized by recurrent seizures, impaired sensory, autonomic, cognitive functions, occurring because of the excessive neuronal discharges in the cerebral cortex and is often accompanied by personality change. This pathology is a certain problem for each sex, which requires gender−specific approaches in the treatment of such patients. In order to examine the features of epilepsy in young men, a study was conducted by prospective and retrospective analysis of data from 80 patients aged 18−44 years. It is noted that epilepsy occurs more often in men than in women. This is mainly due to the greater susceptibility of men to injuries: due to the large weight of the mother during childbirth, the choice of occupations at risk of injury, military service, as well as the role of testosterone, which stimulates aggressive behavior. Factors that cause the development of epilepsy in men include intoxication (alcohol), infections, cerebrovascular disorders, anti−perinatal pathology, the presence of tumors and more. It was found that structural epilepsy predominated in the examined men, as the etiology of the disease was mostly traumatic brain injury − in 27.5 %, and anti−perinatal pathology − in 21.25 %. The most common combination of secondary−generalized with focal seizures (52.5 %), as well as a combination of several types of generalized seizures (30.0 %). Frequent epileptic seizures predominated in patients who started treatment late or took antiepileptic drugs irregularly. Thus, the study found that young men with epilepsy needed early correct and long−term treatment due to the debilitating effects of the disease.
Key words: epilepsy, epidemiology, etiology, types of seizures, young men.
1. Epіlepsіya. Osnovnі fakti. Vsesvіtnya organіzatsіya okhoroni zdorov'ya. URL: https://www.who.int
2. Epіlepsіya. Mіzhnarodna protiepіleptichna lіga. URL: http://www.ilae.org
3. Shcho treba znati pro epіlepsіyu. Mіnіsterstvo okhoroni zdorov'ya Ukraїni. URL: https://moz.gov.ua
4. Panayiotopolus C. P. A clinical guide to epileptic syndromes and their treatment. 2nd ed. Springler, 2007. 578 p.
5. A practical clinical definition of epilepsy / R. S. Fisher et al. Epilepsia. 2014. Vol. 44, № 4. P. 475−482.
6. Voitiuk A. A. Epilepsy: age and gender aspects. Archives in Neurology and Neuroscience. 2019. № 3 (4).