International Medical Journal, Vol. 28., Iss. 1, 2022, P. 62−64.
EVALUATION OF CHANGES IN RETINA FUNCTIONS FOR PATIENTS WITH DIABETIC RETINOPATHY AFTER ANTIOXIDANT THERAPY USE
Kharkiv Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, Ukraine
One of the most severe ophthalmic manifestations of Diabetes mellitus is diabetic retinopathy, which ranks first in disability and blindness among people of working age. Oxidative stress, which is a consequence of non−enzymatic glycation of proteins, activation of the polyol pathway and protein kinase, plays an important role in its development. Drug therapy of the disease largely depends on the pathology form and stage. One of the areas of treatment is the search for drugs that would help restore and preserve the regulatory mechanisms of cell−to−cell interaction. The group of such drugs includes "ViziloTon Complex", which combines three categories of nutrients: carotenoids (zeaxanthin and lutein), omega−3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins E, C and trace elements (zinc, copper), lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamins E, C in the drug "ViziloTon Complex" corresponds to the optimal effective doses to combat free radicals and oxidative stress, which is confirmed by the results of clinical studies. Assuming this property of the drug, its use in treatment of the patients with diabetic retinopathy is considered promising. To evaluate the effectiveness of the drug "ViziloTon Complex" in such patients, based on investigation of the retina functional state, there were studied 70 patients. Its results indicate a sufficient effectiveness of the drug "ViziloTon Complex", having a tissue−specific effect on retinal cells, improves their trophism, helps to normalize functional changes. The drug has a positive effect on neuroepithelial cells, as evidenced by optical coherence tomography. Due to its pronounced antioxidant properties and metabolic action, ViziloTon Complex strengthens the capillaries of the eye and can help in improving the visual function and stabilizing the process.
Key words: diabetic retinopathy, retina, antioxidant therapy, “VisiloTon Complex”.
1. Pasechnikova N. V. Lazernoe lechenie pri patologii glaznogo dna. K.: Naukova dumka, 2007. S. 18−38.
2. Diabeticheskaya retinopatiya / S. A. Rykov i dr. K., 2013. 311 s.
3. Diabetic Retinopathy / ed. G. E. Lang (Developments in ophthalmology. Basel: Karger, 2007. 179 r.
4. Sidorova M. V. Dіabetichna retinopatіya. Patogenez, klіnіka, lіkuvannya. K., 2006. 155 s.
5. Diabetic retinopathy / ed. by Elia J. Duh. Humana Press, a part of Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, 2008. 500 r.
6. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Research Group. Grading diabetic retinopathy from stereoscopic color fundus photographs − an extension of the modified Airlie House classification. ETDPS report number 10. Ophthalmology. 2018. Vol. 98. R. 786−806. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0161−6420(13)38012−9
7. Age−Related Eye Diseases Study Research Group. A randomized, clinical trial of high−dose supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc for age− related Diabetic Retinopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 2018. Vol. 13, № 8. P. 132−135.